Click to Home
Go To Search
Tug of War in a Park
San Jose Home
Reservations & Permits

The Department of Parks, Recreation and Neighborhood Services has hundreds of locations you can reserve.

  • Need a gym, sports field or tennis court to play your favorite sport?
  • Looking for a perfect indoor location for a family reunion, large conference or small break-out rooms?
  • Planning a picturesque outdoor wedding?
  • Interested in reserving a picnic location for a birthday?
  • Want to reserve a plot at a Community Garden?
  • Planning a Large Scale Festival or Event?

Your reservation is just a few steps away!

Banquet Halls
A community center’s banquet room is an ideal location to hold your next event. Conveniently located throughout San José, our banquet halls include tables and chairs with your reservation and often times have access to a sound system, microphones and podium at no extra charge. Amenities, capacities and prices vary by location.

  • Wedding reception
  • Birthday party
  • Anniversary celebration
  • Fundraising event or large meeting
  • Call your local center for available rooms and details


Community center gymnasiums are a perfect location to hold your leagues or tournaments, with its state of the art amenities and plenty of square footage to potentially run multiple games at once.
  • Our indoor courts are lined for basketball, badminton and volleyball
  • Contact your local community center and reserve a gymnasium

Meeting and Conference Rooms

Community Centers have the space to accommodate larger conferences with multiple break-out rooms or private meetings in one of our individual classrooms settings.  All rentals include the use of facility tables and chairs. Amenities, capacities and pricing vary by location.

  • Call your local center to find what is available 

General Room Reservation Forms

Permits Required at Parks

Bounce Houses / Air Jumper Permits

The City of San Jose has 36 parks that allow air jumper set-up. Within these 36 parks, many offer 1-3 air jumper set up sites. Some sites require a picnic reservation and some do not – there are many options. Be sure to read through the Air Jumper rules and guidelines before you make your reservation or call a vendor.  You must use one of the vendors from the City of San Jose’s approved vendor list.

Review all the Documents Below:

Bug & Insect Collecting

We offer insect collecting permission in all of our city parks. You must visit the Leininger Center to obtain an Authorization Letter to collect bugs for personal use. 1300 Senter Road, San Jose, CA 95112 or call (408) 794-6527 for more information.

Holding Large Festivals & Events

The City of San José has many special event venues for concerts and festivals. Venues include iconic locations in the heart of downtown San José such as Plaza de Cesar Chavez, Guadalupe River Park & Gardens – Discovery Meadow and Arena Green as well as the historic St. James Park. If you’re planning a large scale festival or event, we have a section dedicated to Special Park Usage (SPU) Permits that will help you plan your blockbuster event.

Metal Detecting

Application forms can be picked up at Leininger Center. Completed applications must be submitted to the park reservation staff at Leininger Center, 1300 Senter Road (inside Kelley Park), Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:40pm.

  • Yearly application fee of $40 and $1 for each detector card (first card is included in the application fee).

Required Photo Permits

Professional Photography

Photo permits are necessary for any type of photography or filming where a photographer is profiting from taking photos or using advanced photographic equipment (i.e., lights, reflectors, props, costumes, models, etc.)  

  • Example: A couple who secures and pays a photographer to take their wedding photos at a park at a designated time shall be required to obtain a photo permit and pay permit fees.
  • Application forms can be picked up at Leininger Center.
  • Photo permits may be obtained at the Leininger Center, located in Kelley Park, 1300 Senter Road, Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30 pm.
  • Our two most popular wedding photo sites, the Japanese Friendship Garden and the Municipal Rose Garden, fill up fast, so it is advisable to plan well ahead of your desired date.

Two hour photo permit fee – Japanese Friendship Garden, Regional Parks, and Neighborhood Parks

  • $60.00 application fee
  • $40.00 permit fee

One hour photo permit fee at the Municipal Rose Garden

  • $60.00 application fee
  • $40.00 permit fee

Photo permits are scheduled during the one hour between wedding ceremony reservations at the Municipal Rose Garden.  If booking a wedding ceremony reservation at the Municipal Rose Garden, the photo permit fee is included in the reservation fee and the two hour time slot.

Non-Professional Photography

Non-professional photography where the photographer is not being paid and the equipment is limited to the use of a camera and tripod or monopod, does not need a permit.  

  • Example: A group of students interested in taking planned, non-professional prom photos at a City park shall not be required to obtain a photo permit or pay fees.